Daily Dispatches

Title: Dick Morse - Lhotse Expedition 2012

13th May, 2012 - Day 17 at EBC

linkedin share button
13th May, 2012 - Day 17 at EBC (17,500 ft.)

Clear again this morning with a light wind.  Chet left this morning after breakfast.  I am still waiting for my summit attempt.  It still looks like I will go up on May 17th so I have a few days in base camp still.

If I go up on the 17th I will probably be attempting to reach the summit on the 21st.  That is very close to the date for my flight home so I have been talking with folks at Peak Promotion about flying back to Kathmandu when I get back to base camp.  In order to do that I will need to pack up some of my gear before I head up on my summit attempt.  That way a porter could move that gear down to Lukla for a regular flight back to Kathmandu.  When I get back from my summit attempt I would only have one or two bags for a helicopter flight.
I sorted gear in my storage tent and laying out gear that I won’t need any more at base camp.  I sorted out enough gear to fill up one duffel bag for early departure to Lukla.  I should be able to pack up a second duffel bag in a day or two.

Chet departing EBC

Chet departing EBC
(From Left – Me, Huseyin, Bob, Chet, Chris, Mark & Mingmar)