The weather was cloudy with light snow. Terri still did not feel very good and continued to have little to eat or drink. This is not good combination for proper acclimatization. Initially we had planned to add another rest day at Gokyo, but after discussion we decided it would be best to head to Phortse (12,467 ft.) and give her time at a lower elevation. Hopefully the lower elevation will help her gain some of her strength back. We still can move on up towards EBC via the more standard route.
The hike down will take about six hours. We left t 9:30 AM and got to Phortse at 5 PM. The going was slower than planned because there was a lot of up and down. We took a long lunch which helped us continue on. Throughout the day we had snow showers and wind (10 – 15 mph). The snow turned to rain about an hour before we reached Phortse. Our lodge was happily met and was quite comfortable. We had some hot drinks and although tired Terri was able to eat a bit. We will wait until tomorrow morning before we decide our next move. It will certainly depend on how Terri feels in the morning.