manslu trek 2012
trekking in nepal manaslu
Pune Everest
Mt. Everest Climbers Climbing Sherpa
  • Umesh M. Zirpe
  • Bhushan U. Harshe
  • Anand S. Mali
  • Ganesh K. More

Mt. Lhoste Climber

  • Ashish S. Mane
  • Kame Sherpa (sirdar)
  • Pemba Rinji Sherpa
  • Nurbu Bhote
  • Dakipa Sherp
  • Dawa Galzen Sherpa
  • Lakpa Dorji Sherpa
  • Pasang Sherpa
Base Camp Cook Camp II Cook
  • Pasang Sherpa
  • Mingmar Sherpa
Base Camp Cook Assistants:
Camp II Cook Assistants:
  • Gyalu Sherpa
  • Mingmar Sherpa
  • Karma Sherpa
  Congratulations! Bhushan U. Harshe, Anand S. Mali, Ganesh K. More, Kame Sherpa, Nurbu Bhote, Dakipa Sherpa, Dawa Galzen Sherpa for successfully summit of Mt. Everest and Asish Mane for successfully summit of Mt. Lhotse

  Updates from -

18th May, 2013 -Today morning the team started down from the South col. After a long stay of 66 hours in the death zone, they desperately needed to get down. But the escape was not so easy. Climbing down the Lhotse phase in winds against the traffic was tough. Steadily they reached Camp3 at 10.30am. They continued further down to Camp2 and reached the base of Lhotse phase. At 12noon they were at Camp2, where Ashish received them.

Early this morning, Umesh Zirpe left Camp2 and reached base camp at 10.30am. There was a huge relief to Ajit Tate, base camp manager, and Tekraj Adhikari who had tough time while the entire team was trapped in the death zone and others who trekked to EBC to support the Giripremi’s Lhotse Everest 2013 expedition.

After a short rest at Camp2 the entire team alongwith Ashish continued climbing down to the base. It was cloudy and overcast as they were moving down to Base Camp through icefall. Finally, they reached BaseCamp at 7.00pm. Climbing down 3000M after surviving three bad weather nights in death zone is a commendable job! Bravo!

The team has shared their feet with all of us through summit photographs.








16th May - 2013 -The Everest team to start summit Attempt at 8.30pm

On 15th May 2013 Ashish Mane along with his Sherpas Lakpa Dorji and Pasang Sherpa reached summit camp of Mt. Lhotse 7800M at 12.30pm. Towards the evening the wind started blowing at very high speed. Hence they were in dilemma about the summit attempt. Finally the wind dropped at 2.00am midnight. It is exactly when Ashish along with his sherpas set out for the summit attempt. As they were moving up through a narrow couloirs towards the top of the ridge the wind again started blowing at 100km/hr making it very difficult to move ahead.

The danger of falling rocks and hard ice through colouir was very high at that point of time. But like a strong mountaineer Ashish showed big courage and continued ahead. At the dawn they were about to reach the exit of the colouir. At 7.00am they reached the top of the Lhotse ridge. From here onwards they continued on the ridge towards their left to reach the main summit of Mt. Lhotse (8516M).

At 7.24am on 16th May 2013 Ashish Mane, at age of 22, became the first civilian from Maharashtra to climb Mt. Lhotse and first Maharashtrian to scale two eight thousand meter high peaks. Hats off to Ashish! Many more to come…


After offering pooja to the mountain God, and waving tricolor on the top of the 4th highest mountain in the world, Ashish returned to the summit camp. Climb down too was not easy. They had to continuously look out for the falling objects. Many times the team were blown off the route and almost crushed into the rocks of the colouir. But they bravely continued with composed attitude and reached safely to summit camp at 10.30am. Further he climbed down to Camp3 and continued until Camp2. With all said and done, Ashish had an opportunity to return to Base Camp and relax, but he chose to stay at Camp2 and support his team mates who are awaiting their Everest summit attempt at south col.

The Everest team meanwhile couldn’t found a way to launch summit bid last night. The wind at south col  was too much for any movement. They kept waiting for the wind to drop the entire night but no help. The team is at south col right now and waiting for their chances to summit. The weather has bettered since then and hopefully they will start their summit attempt tonight.

P. S. The Everest team to start summit Attempt at 8.30pm tonight.


16th May - 2013

Here is great news to start a great day. Ashish Mane has reached to the summit of Mt. Lhotse today at 7am. Meanwhile the team Everest is at south col. They did not go above the summit camp because of bad weather conditions.


12 May - 2013 - Base Camp to Camp 2 - The team had narrow escape in Khumbu!

Finally the day have arrived…after a long preparation off the mountain and on the mountain, the team set off from the basecamp on an ambitious summit bit.

The weather had not been that great since yesterday afternoon and the BaseCamp experienced a three inch snowfall since then. Snowfall continued till late night. But the dawn brought in lot of hopes with good weather. The sky was clear and the wind was low at the BaseCamp. All the team members: Umesh Zirpe, Ganesh More, Bhushan Harshe, Anand Mali and Ashish Mane, were ready by 4.00am. Finally with their backpacks on all of them proceeded towards the chorten. Few essence sticks along with junifer sticks were burning leaving their fragrance in the air. The team prayed to the Goddess Sagarmatha for the success. Warm hugs were exchanged with the BaseCamp team members.


Making their way through the moraine of Khumbu glacier and crossing the lumps of ice the team reached the base of the icefall, where they put on the crampon and continued. As they were progressing ladder by ladder and pitch by pitch, they reached the upper section of the Khumbu icefall. It was when the team was shaken by sharp cracking sound above. A huge ice boulder tumbled from its position. Everybody was stunned for a moment. An intense surge of anxiety went through until they realized, they were at safe distance from the danger. They continued further towards Camp1.


They reached the Camp1 site at 9.30am. It was cold and windy at Camp1. After a short rest there they continued further towards Nuptse corner. After crossing couple of crevasses they again traversed back to the middle of the western cwm and continued in the same direction towards Camp 2. It was 12.30pm when they reached Camp 2. The team experienced low efforts in today’s movement as compared to the previous one. A sign of proper acclimatization and good recovery!

The team will spend a day at Camp 2 before they continue further movement to Camp3 on 14thMay.

  11th May - 2013

Giripremi’sLHOTSE-EVEREST 2013 team will start final summit attempt tomorrow morning. Veteran mountaineers wish all the success for their unique feet.


Giripremi’s Lhotse-Everest 2013 team at Camp2

Giripremi’s Lhotse Everest 2013 expedition team is now ready for the final summit push. Since they reached Everest Base Camp in first week of April, they prepared themselves by climbing upto Camp1, Camp2 and Camp3 in a series of climbing efforts through last month. In first week of May, they returned to BaseCamp for the recovery and preparation for the final attempt.

The team had been tracking the weather forecast since then. Indian Meteorological department predicted good weather for climbing Everest in next week. Recent cyclonic conditions in the Bay of Bengal have pushed the jet stream winds prevailing on the summit of the mountain towards north. This will lower the wind speeds on the summit making it favorable condition for attempting the mountain. Based on this forecast the team has planned the movement up the mountain.

They will set off from the Everest Base Camp tomorrow 12th May, morning at 3.00am. Traversing through Khumbu Icefall and western Cwm they will reach Camp2 (6500M) approximately after 10 hours of climbing. On 14th May, they will start from Camp2 towards Camp3. From this point on 15th May Ashish Mane will part from the Everest summit team and will reach Lhotse summit camp enroute his effort towards summit of Mt. Lhotse (8516M). On the same day Everest summit team will reach summit camp at south col. The same night they will start the summit attempt and if weather conditions remain favorable they will reach summits of Mt. Lhotse and Mt. Everest on 16th May.

Duringthe last week, the entire team has recovered well. Today, Mr. Reinhold Messner veteran alpinist and renowned mountaineer visited Giripremi’s Base Camp. He wished the entire team all the very best for their plan to scale the two eight thousanders on the same day. After meeting Reinhold Messner the entire team is fully charged and they are now motivated and excited for the final push.


2 May - 2013 -Camp 2 to Camp3 - 

Movement between Camp2 to Camp3 spotted from Camp2 on 1st May, a day prior to the Giripremi’s planned movement on this route.

At 7400M Camp 3 is located on steep slopes of the Lhotse face. The route to the camp3 from camp2 traverses in the upper western cwm to the base of Lhotse face for couple of hours and then steep climb over the Lhotse face till Camp3. This face rises at 40 and 50 degree pitches with occasional 80 degree bulges. Climbers and porters need to establish a good rhythm of foot placement and pulling themselves up the ropes using their ascenders.

Today the team set off towards the Camp3 at 8.00am. It was very windy since morning. The weather prediction reported winds upto 70mph. As the team reached the base of the Lhotse face suddenly the wind started blowing at much higher spped. Due to the recent snowfalls the entire valley was covered with soft layer of snow. The wind started blowing this layer making it difficult to see, and to breathe.Still they continued to move up the mountain. They crossed a big bergschrund at the base of the Lhotse face. After the bergschrund it was steep climb over hard ice. At this point the winds worsened, making toes and fingers of the climbers to freeze.

The team had to abandon any further movement up the mountain and return to Camp2. Nevertheless, the team had reached to an altitude of 6900M before turning back. Tonight the team will stay at camp2 and will return to Base Camp tomorrow morning.


Giripremi’s Lhotse-Everest 2013 expedition team help to reveal life at extreme weather conditions on Mt. Everest.


Samples collection for microbials analysis at extreme altitudes

Due to the extreme weather conditions on Mt. Everest, temperatures well below freezing point, low air density and extreme winds, practically the life is not possible on the mountain. The existance of the dead bodies of the mountaineers for so many years emphasizes the above fact. But scientists believe that there are certain microbials even present at these extreme conditions. (On 17 March 2013, researchers reported data that suggested microbial life forms thrive in the Mariana Trench, the deepest spot on the Earth.)

Giripremi will help scientist to reveal this mystery by collecting soil samples from these extreme mountains. Today, the team collected soil samples from above camp2 area.

Tomorrow the team will move up to camp3 and will stay one night at camp3 before returning to base camp.


Base Camp to Camp 2

Today Giripremi’s Lhotse Everest 2013 team started from basecamp at 3.30am. Crossing the tricky sections at Khumbu icefall they reached Camp1 at 9.00am.
Ganesh negotiating a tricky ladder in the Khumbu icefall as Ashish and Anand are waiting for their turn

Anand on yet another ladder in Khumbu

Giripremi’s Lhotse-Everest 2013 team at Camp1 (from left Bhushan, Anand, Umesh Zirpe, Ganesh, Ashsish)

In the western cwm: Mt. Lhotse in the middle and Mt. Everest seen towards left.

Camp 2 (6500M): The team reached camp2 at 2.00pm

The team setting up tents at camp2

The team will stay tonight at Camp2. Will go for height gain tomorrow and return to camp2 and finally they will shift to camp3 on 2nd May.


29 April - 2013 - All set for camp3

After a well deserved break for three days Giripremi’s Lhotse Everest 2013 team is all set to move up the mountain tomorrow at 3.30am. This time the team will hit camp3 stay overnight at camp3 and will return to Basecamp. The plan is as follows:

  1. 30th April – Basecamp to Camp2 6500M (This time the team will not stop at camp1 and will directly go to camp2)
  2. 1st May – Camp height gain26750M
  3. 2nd May – Camp3 7400M stay
  4. 3rd May back to basecamp

This will be the last and most crucial movement on the mountain before summit attempt. During this movement the team will reach as high as 7000M. After this movement the team will prepare themselves for the summit bid.
camp3-shivajimaharajGiripremi’s Lhotse Everest 2013 expedition team members praying to Shivaji Maharaj before their crucial movement up till Camp3.



26 April -2013 -Back to BaseCamp

After spending a night at Camp2 the team today returned to BaseCamp. All the team members had been to Camp 2 in last years expedition “Pune Everest 2012”, hence it was relatively easy this time for them to adapt to the conditions up there at camp2. Although, the snow conditions were different this year because of the recent snowfall.

The team started descend at 7.30am and they slowly traversed down through the western cwm untill Camp1. The team spent some time at camp1 before they continued further down to through Khumbu icefall. It was almost five hours untill the entire team reached back to base camp. Everyone is fit after the movement and noone reported any symptons of altitude illness.

camp3After touching 6500M (21325ft.) the team will need some recovery before they set out for next action on the mountain: Camp3. During this phase they will focus on hydrating themselves and carb loading.

On 30th April the team has planned their next breakthrough to camp3.


25 April -2013 - Spring has still not arrived!

While all of us are struggling with the heat of midsummer; the Lhotse Everest 2013 expedition team describes Camp2 as ‘Spring has still not arrived’!

Climbers approaching Nuptse Corner just ahead of Camp1

Today morning, the team started from camp1 location at 7.30am. The route between camp1 and camp2 was more walk than climb. The camp 2 (6500m) is located in upper western cwm. The central section is cut by huge lateral crevasses which restrict the entrance into the upper Western Cwm. Many long ladders are used to cross the crevasses. The snow-covered, bowl-shaped slopes surrounding the Western Cwm reflect the solar radiation, warming the valley basin despite its high elevation. Some of the most difficult days on Everest are in the Western Cwm, when on a sunny windless day it is desperately hot, and has been known to reach temperatures up to 35 – 40°C.

Mt. Lhotse (center) and Mt. Everest (Left) overlooking the Western Cwm

The team reached Camp2 at 12.30pm. They pitched tents, and called basecamp and back home through radio sets and satellite phone. The route up north to the summit of Lhotse, a high rising Lhotse face encompassing yellow band and the camp3 site below it, was clearly visible throughout journey from camp1 to camp2. Due to the recent snowfall the entire basin is covered with a foot deep fresh, soft snow, making it difficult to walk on. Barring few places where there is a danger of hidden crevasses, the route is fixed with fixed ropes and few horizontal ladders to cross the crevasses, the route is free walk.

Towards the end of the day the conditions were bit overcast with slight snowfall. The team had early dinner at 6.30pm in a common tent pitched by sherpas and were into their sleeping bags before 7.30pm. Tomorrow morning the team will go down to basecamp and will stay there until their next movement on the mountain.


Camp 1 Stay

Today morning the team had early breakfast and prepared themselves for the movement of the day. They put on inner layer of woolen thermals. Intermediate layer on top of it and finally wind stoppers. Like a seasoned mountaineer they were ready in no time with their snow shoes and harness on. Everyone wore helmet and clamped headlamp on top of it. Ashish and Bhushan clamped Go-Pro cameras on their helmets. Finally with their backpacks on all of them proceeded towards the chorten. Few essence sticks along withjunifersticks were burning leaving their fragrance in the air.The team prayed to the Goddess Sagarmatha for the success. Warm hugs were exchanged with the fellow team members.

The team ready to move up the mountain (Starting from left Ganesh, Bhushan, Ashish, Umesh, Kame, Anand)

The team started at 5.30am from EBC through Khumbu towards Camp1. Roughly in half an hour they were into the core of Khumbu icefall, where they put on the crampons on their climbing shoes. Pulling the straps of crampons in chilling cold must have been an experience. Walking on the crisp layer of superficial snow was comfortable but the team knew that this pleasure would not remain for long. As the day progressed the superficial layer of the snow started melting exposing the soft fresh snow beneath. Climbing on the soft snow was pretty tiring as the team had to put an extra effort to stamp on each step before moving ahead. Crossing the ladders one after another and progressing pitch by pitch they reached to 5850M at 8.30am.

 Team Member ascending tricky ladder in Khumbu icefall

It was almost three hours since they started. The team stopped for a quick bite. After having boiled eggs which they carried from the basecamp, sip of lukewarm water from their thermos was refreshing. Soon they had to rush ahead because of the danger of movements of the icefall and risk of avalanches coming down the Lhola face. After this point the climb was not stiff but the team had gained some altitude by then which was making the further movement strenuous. This section was tricky as crevasses grow deeper and wider. Also, because of the recent snowfall there was danger of hidden crevasses en route. Although the entire route in this section is fixed with safety ropes, one has to be attentive all the times and pass the safety carabiner through these ropes. Many Sherpas have lost their lives in this section due to carelessness. Since they failed to snap their carabiners inside rope, a little mistake while crossing wide crevasse over the ladder pushed them miles below the surface, towards the end of narrowing crevasses.

Carefully and steadily the team reached to the camp 1 site at 10am, where they pitched tents. They cooked noodles using butane burners.

At 6100M, Camp1 of the Mt. Everest through South-East ridge is located above Khumbu icefall and at the base of western cwm (also called as valley of silence). Camp1 is very unstable and dangerous place and climbers do not prefer to stay here. It is very narrow section surrounded by high raising walls of Nuptse corner on one side and Everest shoulder on the other. This will be the only night spent in the expedition on Camp1. In further movements, the team will skip this camp and will directly go to Camp2.

Camp 1 en route Everest from South-East ridge

Tomorrow morning the team will start early. Will touch camp2 and return to BaseCamp. This is an essential phase in climbing the mountain called as acclimatization.


23 April -2013 -Few More photographs shared from Everest basecamp

Snow Clad Everest BaseCamp

Satelite Tent design by Gypsy Tents, Pune roofed by snow. Indian tricolor alongwith Nepali national flag stand tall at the background.


Earlier this month, movement in the Khumbu icefall captured from the BaseCamp. The climbers set out for the climbing through icefall at the dawn and the route is seen as chain of headlamps progressing slowly but steadily.

Climbers negotiating a crevasse in Khumbu glacier using ropes and ladders.

Due to harsh weather conditions, today the team is held at Base Camp and they have plan to move up the mountain tomorrow i.e. 24th April. After continuous snowfall for past few days, they are hoping for the favorable weather conditions during tomorrow’s movement.


22 April -2013 -Icefall closed for any further movement!


It was 20th early morning; the team was all set to move up to Camp2 through Khumbu icefall, when they experienced heavy snowfall; snow accumulating more than 2 inches, forcing them to get sheltered inside their tents. Since then the snowfall continued for last three days,freezing all the movements up the mountain.The visibility is also reportedly low. At the same time the lower regions of the Khumbu valley has seen heavy downpour. Even Kathmandu reported heavy showers of rain.

All the teams at EBC are eagerly waiting for the weather to better but the Indian Meteorological Department, predicts no relief for themat least for next couple of days.Usually last two weeks of April sees the substantial preparation on the mountain, but this bad weather has certainly pushed the climbing calendar ahead by a week. This can be a crucial factor in successful summit ratio this year.  On the other hand experts feel that this can be a favorable situation, considering the rest of the season will see clear weather window.

Nevertheless, Lhotse Everest 2013 expedition team is poised for the upcoming spikes of the climbing efforts.

p. s.  After spending three days compulsory rest inside tents, the team walked two hours down to Gorakshep, where they spotted NIVEA Sun screen in a small store. Climbers use sun screen lotion at high altitudes to protect themselves from UV rays. NIVEA is official sponsor of the expedition.


19 April- 2013 -It’s time for some severe action!


After beating more than 50km over fifteen days and traversing up and down the altitude graph from as low as 5000ft to as high as 18000ft, the team finally reached Everest Base Camp on 12th April 2013. Followed by some serious climbing through Khumbu icefall up to 19,193ft on 16th April and hike up to Pumori High Camp (18537ft) on 17th April.

Ganesh taking a leap over open crevasse in Khumbu icefall: Very sure he would have missed a heartbeat or two before his crampon brunched the rock hard ice on the other side of the crevasse.

But the team has not seen enough and some severe action awaits them as they will see cumulative climbing of over 27000ft. and equal amount of descends too. All this will be at extreme altitudes where human body can hardly survive on its own, the altitudes where you can imagine yourself touching the passenger flights, temperatures so extreme that they will see about 100 points travel on the Celsius scale, terrain so extreme that they will see tones of tumbling icebergs to the crevasses miles deep below surface and emotions so strong that they will tend to swing them from the deepest of the nervousness to the triumph of the lifetime.

Now the expedition will attain an altogether different scale unparalleled to any other endeavor. All this is due in next few weeks. So stay tuned for more updates!


8th April, 2013 - Dingboche

The team at Deboche before starting the trek outside the hotel

The team started trek from Deboche to Dingboche today morning at 7.30am. Today the team will experience a sharp depletion of vegetation layer. From the lush green jungle of fir, juniper, birch, blue pines, bamboo and rhododendron woods to scrub and alpine plant and finally bare rock and baron land. Eventually, the oxygen level in the surrounding will go down and the team will face the first challenge in the expedition to adapt themselves to the changing environment. From here onwards the altitude will start taking its toll and the team will have to be very careful in selecting their course of action. They will have to observe themselves very closely and monitor how their body responds to the changes. An experienced mountaineer will not rush ahead without giving an opportunity to her or his body to adapt. Entire success of the climb depends on this phase. Climbers who push ahead in this phase most often pay a huge cost, sometimes in terms of life. Aware of all these facts our team also will move very slowly and spare more days before reaching the base camp.

After 15minutes from the start of the trek the team crossed a stream of Injatse Khola. After this point they walked uphill to upper Pangboche, where they visited Lama at Pangboche Monastery. Pangboche is famous for the magnificent view of Mt. Ama Dablam. At this place you are very close to Mt. Ama Dablam and the base camp of which is hardly two hours walk.

Magnificent view of Mt. Ama Dablam at Pangboche village.

After a quick lunch of Dal-bhat at Shomare, the team started again. Soon they reached flat section of Orsho. After crossing Loboche Khola river they walked towards left, until they reached the village of Dingboche.


Tomorrow the team will go for altitude gain on top of Nagarjun hill near the village and will spend one more night at Dingboche.

About Dingboche

Situated at an altitude of about 4,530 metres (14,800 ft), Dingboche is a popular stop for trekkers and climbers headed to Mount Everest, Ama Dablam or Imja Tse. Parties will typically spend two nights in Dingboche for acclimatization purposes. The village relies heavily on tourists with lodges and tenting areas comprising most of Dingboche. The Imja River flows directly east of the village. A helicopter landing pad is located just west of the Imja River.

Stupa at Dingboche with Ama Dablam in the background


7th April - Deboche

At Tengboche the team met Team met Carlos Soria from Spain who has climbed 10 eight thousanders and attempting Kanchenjunga at age of 74. Today the team climbed above the ridge near Tengboche, for acclimatization. The mesmerizing view of the mountains around including Everest, Nuptse, Lhotse, AmaDablam, and Thamserku from the top of the ridge was worth all the efforts.


After this short hike, the team left for next destination, Deboche (3770m). It was a short and crisp walk down comfortable slope from Tengboche. The team reached Deboche at 1.30pm and checked in hotel TashiDhele.

About Tengboche:

Entrance at Tengboche

Tengbocheis located at 3,867 metres (12,687 ft) on a ridge overlookingDudhKosi river inSoluKhumbu valley. In the village is an important Buddhist monastery, Tengboche Monastery, which is the largest gompa in the Khumbu region. The structure was built in 1923. In 1934, it was destroyed by an earthquake but subsequently rebuilt. It was destroyed again by a fire in 1989, and again rebuilt. Tengboche has a panoramic view of the Himalayan mountains, including the well-known peaks of Tawache, Everest, Nuptse, Lhotse, AmaDablam, and Thamserku. Tenzing Norgay, the first man to reach the summit of Mount Everest with Sir Edmund Hilary was born in the area in the village of Thani and was once sent to Tengboche Monastery to be a monk.

TengbocheMonastry and surrounding village: view from the top of the ridge near Tengboche

6th April - Tengboche - Today, team started trek from Namche Bazaar (11,286 ft) to Tengboche at 7.30 am. The team reached Tengboche (12,700 ft) at 1.00pm. Tomorrow the team will leave for next destination Deboche.

5th April -2013 - Namche Bazaar - The Lhotse Everest 2013 team reached Namache Bazaar on 3rd April. Today the team will go for acclimatization walk to Everest View point and will return and stay at Namache Bazaar.


About Namche Bazaar:

Namache Bazaar is located in the foothills of Solu-Khumbu and at 3,440 metres (11,286 ft) is the gateway to the extreme Himalayan adventures. Populating the sides of a hill, Namche is the main trading center for the Khumbu region.

On a hill overlooking Namche Bazaar is the Syangboche Airport (3,750m / 12,303 ft).


2nd April- 2013

The other day I was just going through a blog on internet titled “Without Up and Downthere is no Nepal”. Literally, the team travelled almost cumulative 4.5 kilometers up and down in the course of approximately 30 kilometers, as they travelled from Phaplu to Phakding. In particular, walking down over stones and steps sliced out of rocks is strenuous as you are crushing your knees against body weight. It’s advisable to take intermittent breaks if you have planned for prolonged activity. Looking at the fact, the team has decided to spare a day Phakding and take rest. This will also give the opportunity for the team to share more details and lots of photos too! So keep following!

About Phakding

Phakding is situated in a quiet and tranquil environmentat an altitude of 2,601m (8,563 ft) with 27̊ 42’ 09” latitude and 88̊ 43’ 50” longitude.It is 3 hours walk from Lukla. It is located between Lukla&Namche.It has different casts like Sherpa,Tamang,Magar and have different cultures.At the heart of the town stands the Rimijung Monastery established by a Sherpa Lama”KhempoDorjee” in the 16th Century.


1st April - 2013
After a night halt at a small village Paiya (9055.12ft.) on 31st March 2013; the team started the trek towards Phakding (11286ft.) The team is expected to reach Phakding on 1st April 4.30pm.


29th March 2013

Early morning the team set out for the trek to Taksindho. Every team member was so charged, it reminded what an Australian Rules football player once said; at the season’s beginning he was so sharp, every muscle in his body so alive, that it was hard for him to just walk. Every time he did, he wanted to break into a run.

At 9.30am, the team headed towards north. The first hour was pretty nice with moderate ups and downs. Soon the team passed near village called ‘Loding’; the birth place of Kazi Sherpa. Kazi Sherpa holds the current speed ascent record on Mount Everest. Kazi’s record was set on the South Col Route, without supplemental oxygen, without prescription drug assistance (Diamox, etc), and without Sherpa assistance or guide assistance. His time was 20 hours 24 minutes, from the basecamp to the summit. (Later, Babu Chhiri Sherpa Reached summit of Everest in 16.56hrs and Pemba Dorji Sherpa Climbed Everest in 12.45 hours, broke his record.)


The team reached Ringmo at 2.30pm. Here onwards the team will follow the classic Jiri to EBC trek route. After a quick lunch of Dal Bhat, the team was off for the next trek. From Ringmu it is about 2,000 feet straight up over rocks to Taksindu Pass, the highest point at nearly 10,000 feet in altitude, then about another 3,000 feet straight down over more rocks.

The team reached Taksindhu at 4.15pm. The team checked in at Mountain View Lodge in Taksindu owned by Kale Sherpa brother of Late Babu Chhiri Sherpa, the legendary Sherpa who holds the record for the fastest ascent of Mt. Everest in just 16 hours and 56 minutes and Spent 21 hours on the summit without bottled oxygen.


28th March - Phaphlu

All Everest expedition teams start the trek to Everest Base Camp either from Jiri 6,250 feet (also called as classic Everest Base camp trek) or from Lukla 9,383 feet. Trek from Jiri takes more than three weeks to reach the base camp. After the discussion wth Col. Himashree, who insisted to spend more time for acclimatization between 8000ft. to 18000ft., the team adapted a modified classical route. The team selected Phaplu 7918ft. as starting point for the trek to EBC. From Phaplu they will traverse north to connect to the classic EBC trek at Ringmo. From Ringmo, they will trek to Tragsindho – Kharikola – Surkhe – Lukla

On 28th March 2013, the team was all set fly to the mountains. But the weather was not that great. The team had to wait till 3.30pm for weather to better. Since the airstrip at Phaplu is under maintenance the team had to fly through mountain helicopter. The journey started at 3.30pm local Nepal time (UTC/GMT +5:45 hours). They flew over the foothills of Hmalayas and low altitude meadows for about forty five minutes before hovering over the district place of SoluKhumbu, Salleri. A few minutes later the helicopter landed at Phaplu. Phaplu is one of the five serene mountain airports in Khumbu valley: the others are Lukla, Syangboche, and Kangel Danda. Landing to these airports is experience in itself.

There is a district Hospital just 2min walk from the airstrip at Phaplu. To the North from Salleri comes a breathtaking beautiful DudhKunda meaning (Milky Lake) just below the gorgeous and Holy Mt. Numbur, Mt.Karyalung peaks. One can witness a wonderful and Majestic view of the Himalayan Range from Kanchanjunga in the east to Dhaulagiri in the west along with lovely sun rise n sunset. The team checked in to Everest hotel for the night.


27th March 2013 -

The team visited Pashupatinath temple in Katmandu and prayed to lord Shiva for the safety of the members and success of the expedition. Kame Sherpa, Sherpa Sardar for the expedition, accompanied the team for the pooja ceremony.


The team visited Lama. He prayed for the safety and success of the team.

The team also met Flt Lt Ted Atkins, Director – TopOut, advanced oxygen delivery system for Everest summit attempt. The team shared their experiences with the oxygen masks and analyzed probable reasons for the failure of the masks. Later on, Ted showed latest enhancements in the equipment and measures taken to reduce the chances of equipment failures
Lt Ted Atkins

26th March 2013 -

The team visited Embassy of India in Kathmandu, Nepal. Where,H.E. Mr. Jayant Prasad, Ambassador of India to Nepal wished all the success to the Giripremi team. He appreciated the achievements and the work Giripremi has done so far. After the successful expedition last year, the team met H.E. Mr. Jayant Prasad for the first time, since then Giripremi shares a special bond with him. He has seen the “Pune Everest 2012” film and cherished the achievement of the team.

Mr. Jayant Prasad

25th March 2013

On 25th March 2013, the team reached Kathmandu by Indigo flight at 1.00pm. Peak Promotion directors Mr. Wangchu Sherpa and Mr. Keshav welcomed the team. Right now the team is busy with the final checklist, Kathmandu.

trekking in nepal
Manaslu Trekking
trekking in nepal
trekking in nepal
trekking in nepal trekking in nepal
trekking in nepal
trekking in nepal
tibet tour
bhutan tour
Fixed Departure date
Peak Promotion team
trekking in nepal


trekking in nepal